Sunday, April 13, 2008

Deseret Land and Livestock

Last night, Ken called and told me that he would be stuck in Wyoming for a few more days. He was supposed to be home yesterday, so I ended up meeting him in Evanston so he could have come clean clothes and a few things that he would need for the truck. Since Chase was going to be coming home for the night, I decided I could stay the night and not have to drive through the canyon in the dark (one of the things I absolutely hate to do since I've already run over a deer once before.) We gave Chase pretty specific instructions on how to check Izzy out - and he did a great job. I wish I could have seen his face when I was describing what he needed to look for and what to check. This morning he told me that it was so quiet outside when he went to check on her about midnight - he put his ear up to her belly and said he could hear all kinds of noises in there - almot like the baby was making noises.

This morning as I was driving home, I drove by the Deseret Land and Livestock Ranch. I thought back on our Pioneer Trek there two years ago, but more so, I thought about those who came so far, with so little and the sacrifices they made. I couldn't help but think about the nice, warm slippers I had on my feet - and as I looked out over the snow covered ground, I was so greatful for the blessings I have been given today. I was in a warm car, had warm feet, listening to church music and it took just an hour to get home from Evanston. I also thought about my great grandfather, Robert Reeder, who came in the Martin Willy Handcart Company, and what amazing horrific things he had to go through in order to get to the valley. Sadly, he lost his father and sister on the journey here. As I was driving down the canyon, I couldn't help but think about what I should be learning from their experience, and what I should be learning from the experiences that I am having here on this earth.

No comments: