Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Sitka, Alaska





Sitka was our first stop on the cruise. What a great little town! This is the town where Russia and the US exchanged the land that is now Alaska. We walked out of town to the Totem Pole State Park, where I'm pretty sure I took pictures of every totem pole in the park. While I was standing by the visitors center, two bald eagles came flying right over my head - I felt like I could reach right up and touch them.
One of the pictures shows the houses on their own little islands and only boats to get them on and off. I think that would be pretty cool, except how do you go anywhere in the winter?
In Sitka, I had my first exposure to those great little Russian shops that sell the nesting dolls - I could have taken one of every kind home, they were so fabulous. I can't imagine the talent and imagination to paint all the variety there was. My favorite was the nutcracker scenes (imagine that!) on the doll's belly.

No comments: